Friday, December 19, 2008

At the end of term


So I am finally home in Denmark for the festive season after a very eventful fall term. I have learned much and experienced much and I am now happy to have a few weeks to digest. I have already written about th EUBO tour covering 26 November - 14th of December but there were many other things in my life.

As the economy started slumping in the UK I faced the fact that I might not be able to continue raising scholarship money and I started serious work on getting work. So far I work two evenings a week in St. John's Smith Square as a concert usher. True it is not a wellpayed job but it is a start and there are good concerts once in a while - eventually I might advance to other venues. I also got my first student and I really enjoy teaching. I have also had a few playing gigs and things are starting to come together.


I also still enjoy my studies. I do however have to be a little careful. With the many things the Historical Performance department at RCM has to offer I can easily spend all my time there and my research will suffer. November was the month when I started getting my research a bit back on track by beginning serious work on the bibliography attempting to read everything I can get hold of relating to my topic. I hope that I will be able to start writing a sample chapter in the beginng of next term. I have particularly lucky with my tutors - now I just have to follow their advice and get to work!

After a quite fall my duo is getting serious. We had a productive working day where we planned programs and rehearsed them. I will spend some of the Christmas holidays making promotion material and learning a lot of new repertoire. I also need to work on technique and general polishing of my playing.

I have been blessed with wonderful housemates this fall. We have been 5 girls and we are having a great time. Only problem is sometimes stopping and going to bed! As always the new year will bring changes as some people have to leave but I think it is going to be a good year.


I am happy to be home but also happy to go back. I am ok financially for now and grateful for the opportunities I have been given so far.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me and Merry Christmas to all.

No comments: